Sunday, October 02, 2005

i'm a freakin' machine

This morning I got back from a hiking trip with Scouts from Boy Scout Troop 273. That was my old troop I belonged to before I went to college. I had a great time with the younger scouts (who I had basically just met).

This was the second of two hiking trips over the past two weeks. Last weekend we went hiking to someplace I can't spell and thus cannot find any reference material online. It was 10 miles and it was good. That is all I can think of to say about that.

However this weekend we went to Sam's Point in Cragsmoor and then followed the Bear Hill Trail. Another 10 miles. It was perhaps the most challenging hiking I've ever endured. We'd climb down these steep, steep hills only to cross a stream and turn back up to get on top of the ridge. This time we stopped a 1/2 mile from our destination and camped out for the night. We woke this morning (late), packed our belongings and then head out. It was a great time. The views from Sam' Point were amazing. And we were able to visit an awesome sidestop at the Sam's Point Dwarf Pine Barrens Preserve called the Ice Caves (the picture doesn't do them justice). They are these caves created by HUGE rocks shifting when glaciers passed through and removed softer rock from underneath these larger rocks. The large rocks could not support their own weight over time and eventually cracked and created large crevices for us to walk through which we now call the Ice Caves. If anyone in the area wants to check them out, it's a 3 mile hike (quite feasible for most) round trip for some really cool sights.

In the meantime, I've shaved off quite a few pounds in the last two weeks. I hope we can get out more often because, while my feet hurt, lightening my personal load would be great :-)

I'll post pictures when available.

No comments: