Friday, May 19, 2006

The Sentinel - reviewed well beyond the point you could see it in the theatre

So I saw The Sentinel Wednesday in a small crappy theatre in Chester. The walls were thin and I could hear the movie playing in the next theatre through the wall. I knew that before going in - I had been there before. Last time I saw a movie there however, the prices were below the wowie-zowie theatre in Middletown. Times have changed and the prices were now the same. It really bugs me (by the way, this is as much a review of the theatre as it is the movie itself) when you're paying 'the going rate' for sub-'the going rate' quality of anything; but especially for movies.

Jen, Anne, and I make our way inside (after I hit the ATM because the crappy theatre does not accept credit) to one redeeming feature. The movie operator's booth is on the same floor with the back of it completely glass, allowing a nice view of some kid reeling a movie. That's kind of interesting to me... for a moment. Jen, Anne, and I made our way into the theatre (with the 8 other people) and find seats on the left. Six of the others find seats opposite us on the right, and two women sit in the back row near the door. People on the right... no problem. People in the back... I wanted to take out back and beat with a shovel. Who spends $8.50 to see a movie they know nothing about only to watch the movie and continuously ask each other what just happened in a theatre with 10 people in it? Seriously. I spend $8.50 to sit quietly in a room and watch a crappy movie with Kiefer Sutherland and expect it to be quiet dammit. Since when did buying a ticket to a movie entitle people to talk (or worse, answer their phone) through a movie?

Aside from the theatre and the talkers, the movie was alright. It felt 24-ish... which it would cause Kiefer just ran around doing whatever he wanted in his slightly-panicked, always-husky voice... just like he does in 24. Eva Longoria is along for the ride as well, which should have been my first warning sign of a mediocre movie and Kim Bassinger(sp, cause i don't care) gives a rather lifeless performance. On the "Peter Scale" (refer to a yet-to-be-written post about the Peter Scale), I gave the flick a 650 (out of 1000 - in all fairness since I haven't even written about it yet).

No comments: