Monday, July 24, 2006

Camp Ranachqua (ran-ah-kwa)

Last week my Boy Scout troop spent a week at summer camp. I took a day off from work and got a chance to partake in the fun on Thursday night and Friday. Thursday night Steve and I went out for a few drinks on his night out. We talked Scout stuff and camp stuff and we got hit on by the waitress (him more than me). There was a singer there who was quite mediocre and I was even more upset when I realized it wasn't kareoke night - she was the hired entertainment. Whew!

Anyway Friday was a lot of fun! I got to spend some time with the Scouts I haven't seen in a while. I helped clean up our campsite, earning us a perfect score for the day's inspection. That afternoon I went on the fly fishing expedition with two of the Scouts; however there was not enough poles so I was forced to sit and watch quietly, just relaxing. It's tough being an adult leader sometimes.

A lot around the camp has changed. Places have moved around and policies added and edited. Camp food hasn't changed much. It's just as bad as I remember it. :-X

Before the evening flag ceremony, Steve, who is the rifle range master of all things, and I got to shoot for a while at the range. I was pretty bad at first, but with a few small adjustments and pointers from him I was able to get a pretty nice cluster. We took a few minutes with the shotgun as well and I got to shoot my first clay pigeons! That was a lot of fun. I was surprised to be able to pick it up so quickly. I don't shoot very often - almost never. But getting a chance to shoot up at camp was nice. It's a chance to just focus on one small thing and forget all the other things going on. You've got ear protection on so all you can really hear is your breath. It's a very "inner" thing - something I haven't experienced in a while.

The closing campfire was really nice. Our troop won Honor Unit; which is basically the "troop of the week" award. That was pretty cool. And at the closing campfire I got to participate in my first American flag retirement ceremony. That's when flags that are too old and worn to be used are burned in a respectful and simple ceremony. It's the only respectful way to retire an American flag.

I don't think there were many pictures taken, but if I come across any I'll have to post them up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time, wish I could have been there.