Tuesday, May 31, 2005

What I'm reading: expert c# business objects

This is your only warning, all non-geeks are likely to pass out due to boredom reading this post. Please move on or make sure you are properly seated before attempting to read on.

Did we get rid of them?
Good.

That being said, I made two purchases at Barnes & Noble's a week ago. I haven't gotten to the second book yet, but this one's a real winner. It's called Expert C# Business Objects by Rockford Lhotka.

If you work or play in Microsoft .NET (there's a really goofy pair of guys on the page when I visited it - here's the cache), I highly recommend it. This book starts at an advanced level and doesn't pander to novice wanna-be's. It attempts to cover the gap between small-time business applications and medium scale software development for businesses. I don't think this book would solve a software house's dev problems, but it would certainly handle many less involved situations.

This book has already been helpful to me and I'm only 100 pages in (out of 800). It quickly explains and shows with code included how to implement universal features of solid biz projects. It handles Remoting, n-Level Undo, Enterprise Services to name a few. Beyond discussions in each topic, Lhotka includes the source code for his Component-Based, Scalable, Logical Architecture (CSLA) which is ready to build upon with business specific logic.

I'm never very good at writing reviews or synopses so this isn't the best account of the book, but if you're in that niche and looking for a coherent place to bridge the gap that I found myself facing this is your book.

Notes:
  • Thanks to Kyle for some css support from his own blog (w/o his permission :-)
  • Check the sidebar links for a new addition: an old pal of mine, Ryan is now on the list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wohoo!

David Campbell said...


Kyle
left a comment which got devoured by Haloscan (which I know dislike). After some technical difficulties, I've finally re-hacked my blog. *sigh*

In answer to your questions Kyle,
I stole some style settings for the image to get it to float in the text.

And for the record.. the "What I'm Reading.." was also a rip. I didn't know you had proprietary rights to reading things :-P

Thanks for reading!