Sunday, November 14, 2004

engagement weekend

These last few days have been amazing. I went up to Utica to spend time with Anne from Wednesday through Friday. On Wednesday we had Blender Night (yes- with capitals. it's a proper noun) while we watched part of Moulin Rouge. Thursday we shopped and Friday we returned to Middletown to hang out at my place. We had pizza Friday night and just hung out at my place.

I woke up Saturday instantly nervous. I knew that I'd be asking Anne to marry me later that day and that it was only hours away. Luckily I didn't wake up till 10:30. I wanted to make the day special, but not out of the ordinary until I asked so I acted like it was any other day. I made Anne french toast (the "best she ever had" - you can ask her) for breakfast and we decided to go see The Incredibles in the early afternoon.

Going to see the movie was a nice distraction to spend a few hours without thinking about the special occasion. Sidenote: the movie was really good. (imdb) It was quite different from other Pixar movies, but they usually are. However it was basically what I expected... I felt like I was watching the Fantastic Four animated into a movie.

Anyway, back to the point Dave...

We finished the movie and head back home when I receieved a phone call from my grandmother. My plan had been setup and everything was waiting for the proposal. I played like nothing was up and we continued home.

Once home, I formulated a small extension of the truth (read "lie") and I got Anne into the car. We were heading to Pine Bush to "pick up something of my grandmother's and were going to return it to her." So Anne was a bit surprised when I pulled into the parking lot of the middle school where we used to talk and stargaze late into the night.

Over by our favorite spot was a small table with flowers, candles, two glasses, champagne, and two chairs. We sat and talked for a few minutes, but it was really cold. Really really cold. A lot colder than I expected. I wanted to say all these things I've had floating in my head, but the cold sorta froze them and I was cut to the chase. I got on one knee (in the mud, in the snow) and Anne stopped me asking "really?!?"

"Yes. Really." I asked and Anne and she said of course. I placed the ring around her finger. We opted to postpone our champagne toast for a warmer environment and quickly packed up everything (because I did need to eventually return things to my grandmother).

We then went on a whirlwind tour of our families including phone calls, meals, drinks, and flashing of the new bling. It even got put on the Brick City Singer's website! I really appreciate how quickly and heartily people have responded and congratulated. It was great to hear from so many people!

Anyway the ring, if you're curious, is a princess cut solitaire diamond mounted in a platinum setting with a cathedral head. I think I've become quite the diamond expert in all my research. It was really important to me to find the perfect ring for her, and I'm really glad she loves it.

As for a date? We're still debating. Spring 2006 is the best candidate at the moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dave!

_Ryan Wilcox
http://radio.weblogs.com/0100544/

Anonymous said...

YAY DAVE!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! :-D CONGRATS!!! - Love, Ginger Hill

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and Anne!

Kristen Yackel