Saturday, November 06, 2004

make good ripples

So I've been a downloading binge-- mostly tv series. I found a new one that I'm enjoying: Joan of Arcadia. I definitly feel a bit "high school" watching it, but I love the premise... which I'll tell you about now...

Joan begins seeing God in small encounters with complete strangers. Eash episode God pits her to challenge some aspect of her comfort zone with unpredictable outcomes. Each episode Joan fails in some way, learns from her mistake, and God wraps it up nice and neatly with a cliche or quote that, when I hear it I want to write it down. (imdb)

So my latest favorite notion from the show. That's what this post is about... "make good ripples." Every decision we make has a number of unpredictable and unexpected consequences. These decisions and actions hit every person much like a ripple. So, Joan learned to make good ripples.

It's a pretty vague notion. One might think it's an easy one to accomplish. Just simply act in a way that leaves only positive effects on others. I think you might find it harder than you previously thought if you tried it. I know I did.

Oh and the other plus for the show is that they play a lot of Matt Nathanson tracks. I think that's pretty hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave. Thats right, I enjoy having the position of being the first one on a kickin friday night to notice, read and comment on this new blog as soon as you posted it. Actually, I did all that 6 minutes before you posted it, according to the post time and my computer's clock. I guess I'm just that good.

-Tom