Saturday, November 06, 2004

I am a poet of bananas.

I told Tom and Regan they'd appreciate this one song once they heard it. Well apparently tonight they heard it.

You see, back in October I saw the Fredonia "really-good" choir sing at Steve's Parents' Weekend... or in our case Parent and Brother's Weekend. We had a really good time and all of the performances were wildly entertaining and impressive. But this one set of songs was really cool. I was explaining to Tom and Regan that they sang songs based on poems which were in turn previously based on poetry.

These poets got together and walked through some gallery. They found paintings that inspired them to write and published their works. Well some composer dude found the book and it inspired him to write songs based on the poetry.

Anyway this one poem/song was titled "The Uncertainty of the Poet" which was based on this painting. If you read the text, the games the poet and songwrite play with the words are quite funny. It didn't make much sense to Tom or Regan as I tried to explain how "I am a very banana" was funny. So I was a little miffed at their lack of enthusiasm when I told them about the amazing song.

Well shame on them. They saw it tonight at the annual RIT Singers thrashing (aka Western NY Intercollegiate Choral Festival) performed by the same really good Fredonia choir. Serves them right. I am very fond of bananas- but I'm not much of a poet.

No comments: